Sunday, July 14, 2013

Presidential Graves

I'm big on travel (in case you didn't get the memo by now). I also understand that everyone isn't interested in museum hopping, taking historic home tours, or making the ridiculously detailed plan I make for every trip I take. I get that. But I also hope that you take the time to get out and SEE whatever is not a part of your daily lives that grabs your interest.

That's why when I stumbled across this Presidential Grave blog, I got really excited. Yes, I've been to quite a few Presidential graves so far (hmm let's see, Kennedy, Taft, Garfield, McKinley and Washington, off the top of my head), by no means am I pressed to visit all of their grave sites. But that's what's cool about it! Yes, I think it's a little bit morbid, but kudos to this guy for picking a goal, and from the looks of it, achieving it! What really surprised me is that most of the graves are not big massive monuments. Many of them are simple tombstones that you'd probably walk right by if you didn't know any better.

Although I think you guys should go check his site out and look at his pictures, I've also included a list of burial places below so you can see which grave is close to you (and perhaps spark an adventure of your own!)


PresidentBurial place
WashingtonMt. Vernon, Va.
J. AdamsQuincy, Mass.
JeffersonCharlottesville, Va.
MadisonMontpelier Station, Va.
MonroeRichmond, Va.
J. Q. AdamsQuincy, Mass.
JacksonThe Hermitage, nr. Nashville, Tenn.
Van BurenKinderhook, N.Y.
W. H. HarrisonNorth Bend, Ohio
TylerRichmond, Va.
PolkNashville, Tenn.
TaylorLouisville, Ky.
FillmoreBuffalo, N.Y.
PierceConcord, N.H.
BuchananLancaster, Pa.
LincolnSpringfield, Ill.
A. JohnsonGreeneville, Tenn.
GrantNew York City
HayesFremont, Ohio
GarfieldCleveland, Ohio
ArthurAlbany, N.Y.
ClevelandPrinceton, N.J.
B. HarrisonIndianapolis, Ind.
McKinleyCanton, Ohio
T. RooseveltOyster Bay, N.Y.
TaftArlington National Cemetery
WilsonWashington National Cathedral
HardingMarion, Ohio
CoolidgePlymouth, Vt.
HooverWest Branch, Iowa
F. D. RooseveltHyde Park, N.Y.
TrumanIndependence, Mo.
EisenhowerAbilene, Kan.
KennedyArlington National Cemetery
L. B. JohnsonStonewall, Tex.
NixonYorba Linda, Calif.
ReaganRonald Reagan Presidential Library, Simi Valley, Calif.
FordGerald R. Ford Presidential Museum, Grand Rapids, Mich.