Saturday, July 6, 2013

And Now...I Want A Bear Fur Hat...

My last stop in Cleveland was the Cleveland Grays Armory Museum, home to the second oldest organization in the city of Cleveland, and the oldest known armory in the US that is still owned by its militia (I think I got that right.) It also was the site of the first ever Cleveland Symphony Orchestra performance, held in 1918. History nerd that I am, I HAD to see this place.

Grays Armory as I was walking up to it
I was the only visitor that day, and had a tour with Ms. Kristin Roediger, Executive Director of the Armory. During the tour she told me that she essentially grew up in the building and that her grandfather was actually a member of the Grays, which meant a lot to me knowing she has such a personal connection to the structure.
Lobby of the Armory

The tour was a little under an hour long, and involved lots of stairs and HEAT (a built in 1893, the building doesn't have elevators or air conditioning) but that was okay with me. I just feel badly for the poor event crews that have to lug tables and heavy plates and foods to the upper levels for weddings and other celebrations. (The smaller reception areas are on the highest levels of the building because, at the time, being high up meant you would avoid the smell of horse dung in the busy streets below).

Reception room on the third floor of the building

The largest room available for use actually reminds you of a huge gym, but is home to several display cases featuring soldier artifacts from WWI, WWII, and other conflicts. It also features a huge still-working organ that was saved from an old Erie, PA movie house, even though the pipes of the organ had to be bent to fit in the space.

Large Reception area with the pipe organ pipes visible
 (the organ is behind the black curtain)
One of the places recommended that I request to see was actually in the basement- the shooting range. I've been told it is now the only gun range in the city of Cleveland. Police officers still use it, and sometimes other security classes come through to practice shooting as well, but for the most part, the range is off limits to non Grays members.

Gun Range with bicycle wheel turning devices for moving targets
I could go on and on forever about the neat historical facts I learned while in the building, but I will end with my top three:


1. There were quite a few antique Russian Black Bear fur hats in the building, as they were once part of the uniform worn by the Grays (assumingly not for combat, but for dress uniforms). Probably extinct now, there was a huge problem when a few years ago the hats were put on a display in Canada, and customs demanded receipts for the hats as their material is now banned for import. Imagine trying to find 170 year old receipts for museum displays! Luckily after some leg work the hats were returned. Although I didn't actually touch one, they looked super soft and reminded me of the big black hats you see English beefeaters wear. (So, before PETA and their cronies start harassing me about killing bears, I don't REALLY want a bear fur hat...but I admit the ones they had were pretty cool. No need fussing about bears that have been dead more than 100 years already)


2. The pool room has the original pool tables still intact. As well as some unusual taxidermy (some favorites include a deer butt, and a chicken claw giving the room "the finger"). Five Presidents, and anyone who was anyone in Cleveland and in American industry rubbed elbows in this very room. Also, see that long white photo on the wall between the two paintings? It's a photograph of US ships from just before WWII...and includes images of the ships that were docked at Pearl Harbor (including the Arizona).


3. Finally, the absolute coolest thing was the (alleged) former speakeasy located on the third floor of the building. Outfitted with a special knocker, hidden liquor cabinets, and piecemeal furnishings collected slowly over the decades makes this room feel slightly out of place in the armory. Although their archivist insists that they shouldn't advertise the room as such since there is no "documentation" that was what the room was for, I'm with Ms. Roediger in that, who is going to ADVERTISE and formally announce they have an illegal drinking spot in their building?

Well, that's everything I did while I was in Cleveland. I'm mulling over writing a review of the public transportation system (which had some great highs and lows), but we'll see if I actually get around to it.

Until then, be sure to check out my Facebook page for more pictures of all of my travels so far, and follow me on Twitter for random travel articles and insights.

See you on the next adventure (which will actually take place in less than three weeks!)