Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Symbol of a City

The last entry I have for my visit to Seattle, Washington is the iconic Space Needle. Built in 1962 for the World's Fair and designated as a Historic Landmark in 1999, the Space Needle has been an important and unique landmark and symbol for the Seattle area for decades. I've already tackled the Sears Tower, so this seemed like an obvious itinerary inclusion.

View of the Space Needle from my hotel
There really isn't a whole lot to say about the visit. I paid $18 plus tax to take the 41 second elevator trip up to the observation deck- but that was a discount price since I got there very early in the morning after debarking from my cruise ship. Just like the Chihuly museum, there are different types of tickets that allow you to come twice in one day to see the view in both day and night. The Needle's website (and several travel web sites) suggested getting there early because wait times can be as long as an hour. Luckily there was no one in front of us as we took the trip up. It was cloudy the day we went, so our view wasn't the greatest, but I did take a video I uploaded to my YouTube page. You can see it below:


I didn't eat at the restaurant (but read other reviews that said it was very expensive) and the gift shop had really cool items that reflected Seattle and the businesses that have decided to call that area home- again very expensive. I just can't fathom spending $80 on an Xbox jersey for a little kid. There is a Starbucks at the top (of course there is!) and my godmother bought a coffee from there, but as we remember, I'm not much of a coffee fan.

Space Needle at night
I'm glad I got to take the trip up, and say I've "done" the Space Needle, but as there isn't much to do there, I don't think I'd pay that much money just to ride to the top again. 

Thank you so much for reading my blog. You can check out the rest of my pictures from Seattle (and my other states) on my Facebook page. I have a few more entries for Alaska to do, and then I am not anticipating any new adventures until next spring, so I'll see you on the next adventure!