Sunday, September 1, 2013

Fun Little Excursions

This will be really brief. In both Rhode Island and Massachusetts, I got to visit places that I didn't spend enough time in to warrant their own individual posts, but were still neat little alcoves of tourism I wanted to share.

In Rhode Island, I walked through the Roger Williams National Memorial but did not visit the actual Visitor Center. It's basically a big park (I'm sure the Visitor Center is chock full of information though) and was a very peaceful patch of green in the middle of downtown Providence. I thought it was pretty.





I also walked by the First Baptist Church in America, which I sadly was not timely enough to get a tour of. The building itself is very impressive- much bigger than I thought it would be, and is all white. Whoever is asked with keeping that building gleaming sure has their work cut out for them!



In Massachusetts, Alicia and I spent a great deal of time at the Yankee Candle Company flagship store/Christmas central. We enjoyed ourselves, walking from room to room, being fake-snowed on, eating huge certainly unhealthy snacks (don't worry, healthy treats are available), dipping our own candles (there were lots of wax activities geared towards kids, but adults could have fun too obviously), and most of all, smelling candles. And lots of them. I have SUPER sensitive allergies and asthma, so I was a bit leery going into this place, but didn't react nearly as bad as I thought I would. The two stand out scents that I LOVED (seriously, doesn't someone want to give me these for a gift??) were Meyer Lemon and Cozy Sweater. Two scents that stood out as very strange and "manly" were scented as bacon and timber. Strange, but not horrible as you may think.