Friday, October 11, 2013

10 Cures for the Chronic Overpacker

When I started this blog, I said that I would be open to doing this exploration with whatever friends and family wanted to tag along. I've had people tag along with me through Maryland, Florida, Puerto Rico, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Illinois. I've had people claim excursions with me for whenever I get to Hawaii, Nevada, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia (right?!), Texas, and Colorado. Most recently, my godmother was my travel buddy for Washington and Alaska. Since we live in two different states (Pennsylvania and Georgia), we met up at the airport in Seattle.

I hadn't seen my godmother in a few years, and after my initial joy at being reunited with her, I was totally shocked and surprised to see her lugging this humongous, over-sized, HEAVY suitcase. 

Seriously, this might as well have been her


What on earth could be in there? On the blog, I previously discussed ways to make packing a suitcase more efficient, and many of those tips I learned directly from her. I stood there next to my carry-on suitcase and tried hard not to laugh at her as she asked me where the rest of my luggage was. We were only going away for a week- how many clothes did she NEED? I just didn't get it. I brought three pairs of pants, shirts and sweaters, a few pairs of shoes, plenty of underwear and socks, and a dress for when I needed to be fancy- and still had room for souvenirs at the end of the trip!

Yes, I'd love to be all fancy on trips and have a super fly new outfit for every day of my vacations (I guess), but more than that I dislike having to lug my suitcase around. And being responsible for a big, clumsy block of baggage is not my idea of fun.

So, to help you, my loving readers, avoid the same fate of bringing way too much crap with you on a trip, I wanted to share an article with you from the Huffington Post.


 To me, the suggestions seem pretty common sense. But apparently this information must be shared. Enjoy!