Tuesday, July 3, 2012

How to Pack a Suitcase for Airline Travel

I'm ten days away from my next adventure- Memphis, Tennessee! I have my sites-and-sights-to-see list written out, and friends that are from the city willing to take me to all the favorite food places of the locals- but I'm not ready yet. I still have to pack. Once I figure out which clothes are cute and yet functional for the heat and humidity that I'm sure to face (an important point- check the weather before you go anywhere folks!) I have to figure out how I'm going to get said clothing safely to Memphis and back.

In this age of pricey fees for checked bags, I make sure to only take a carry-on sized bag to keep more money in my pocket and off the balance sheet of some billion-dollar airline. Carry-on sizes vary for each airline, so don't rely on the labels on the suitcase to be enough. You can learn about your specific airline requirements HERE. Not only does this option save money, but it's simply easier to tote around as little luggage as possible than to have to lug around a coffin-sized box on wheels.

So what's the best way to pack? TSA has a few suggestions to help make your trip through the security lines as quickly as possible. You can read the article I found HERE, but I've paraphrased them below as well.

1. Roll your clothing instead of folding it, or worse, just throwing it in the suitcase haphazardly. Not only does this maximize the space you'll have to pack more items, it makes it easier for TSA agents screening your bag to quickly determine your bag is safe and cleared to go on the plane.

2. Because it's a carry on bag, all liquids/creams/gels you pack will have to be 3.4 ounces or less, and should ideally be packed in a clear plastic freezer bag for easy identification. Here's where you have to be discerning. Do you really need three and four different types of lotion for a trip? Will you really use multiple hair gels and sprays, or will you most likely style your hair as simply as possible to enjoy your destination as much as you can? I can hear all the girly girls of the world protesting that all of these things are absolutely essential, but trust me, they aren't.

Personally, I pack my deodorant, a small jar of Vaseline, a travel sized bottle of sun screen and bug repellent if I'm going into hot places or plan to be outside often, and a small makeup case with the lightest, least liquidy makeup options I have in case I need to get glamorous at the last minute. If I need more, I've never been anywhere where I didn't have a chance to get to a drugstore or Walmart on the other end to pick up a cheap bottle of something. Since I usually will be in a hotel (or cruise ship), I use the complimentary lotion and toothpaste there if need be. Are there times I wish I had a specific body splash or eye shadow or face cream that I can just SEE laying on my dresser while I'm away someplace? Sure! But you learn to make it work.

3. Pack shoes on top on your clothes. Sounds like asking to get your clothes dirty, I know. If the soles of your shoes are THAT dusty before you leave, take a moment wipe them off or put them in plastic bags before resting them on top. You can tuck odds and ends into the shoes to help save packing space, and if you use bags to wrap them in, they can serve as dirty laundry bags for your return trip. Also, arrange shoes as if you are playing a game to stiletto Tetris. Don't be married to the idea that the shoes HAVE to be next to each other if placing them in opposite corners makes better sense to pack. It's a small suitcase, I promise you'll easily find them once you reach your destination.

On that same note, pack shoes that "go" with a variety of outfits. The fewer shoes you need to take, the easier it will be to pack because you'll need fewer items. If it's practical, wear the largest/clunkiest pair to the airport to make more room in your suitcase (for example, wear your Nikes to travel in, but leave the flip flops in the bag since they take up less room).

4. If you are carrying heavy things like books (remember those you Nook-sters?) or a laptop, try to spread them out in the suitcase to help evenly distribute the weight and keep balance in your suitcase. It will also help prevent objects from getting crushed. Remember to keep them as close to the top as possible.

5. Don't pack prohibited items. It seems like this would be common sense, but I've seen first hand how surprised people are when they can't take scissors or metal nail files on their trips. If in some crazy universe someone could take whatever it is your debating about and use it as a weapon-- best to leave it at home.

I hope these tips have been helpful. I can't WAIT to see Memphis and report back to you what I see. Also, I didn't forget about my Miami transportation vlog...I recorded it with my webcam, but at some point the audio and video fall out of sync, and I've been having a heckuva time correcting it-- I may just have to rerecord it.

Happy (early) Independence Day! Safe travels, and you'll hear from me soon!