Friday, June 7, 2013

Bus Balderdash



Because I do not yet drive, I am reliant on public and private transportation to get me where I need to go. I plan EXTENSIVELY (one day I will have to show you exactly how precisely I plan things...it's a lot of work but it gives me peace of mind) and try to save as much money as possible. After all, my career isn't being a professional traveler (yet). I financed every trip you have read about here with my own earnings and wages, so even saving a dollar means something to me. With that, I wanted to share with you the letter I just mailed to Greyhound and Peter Pan Bus Lines regarding a frustrating experience I just endured while trying to buy two bus tickets.

Greyhound Lines, Inc.
PO Box 660691 MS 470
Dallas, Texas 758266

And

Peter Pan Bus Lines
Corporate Headquarters
P.O. Box 1776
Springfield, MA 01102-1776
RE: Unfair/deceptive Pricing Strategies

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to convey my recent unpleasant experience with my recent attempt to purchase two one way tickets online. 

The first trip I attempted to purchase was Newport, RI to Boston, MA at 2:00pm on Friday July 26 of this year. First, I noted Peter Pan had this trip listed at $27.00. I checked Greyhound, and saw the identical trip listed for an advanced rate of $16.00. Naturally wanting to save $11, I tried to purchase the Greyhound ticket only to be told I cannot purchase this ticket and was given a phone number to call (800-231-2222) to try to find out why I couldn’t purchase the ticket. Thinking I could just call after I purchase the second ticket I wanted (Springfield, MA to Boston, MA on July 28th 8:15am) I again checked both prices (Peter Pan listed at $23.00, Greyhound listed as $18.00) and attempted to purchase the Greyhound ticket. This time I was met with a message that I could only get this rate by going to the Will Call station- in Springfield, MA. Seeing as I live in Pittsburgh, PA you can understand how that isn’t possible. Even if I had to go to the station here I wouldn’t have been as upset, but to say I have to go to another state is ridiculous. I prefer to print and have my tickets in my hand well in advance, which is why I am also shocked print at home tickets weren’t available for either option.

So, I called the 800 number given to me by the Greyhound website. The woman quickly told me that since the website was involved, I had to call the web division for help. Unable to transfer me herself, I called the number she gave me (800-846-0754). I had to repeat myself several times to the man who answered on that line, but eventually his explanation was that I couldn’t purchase and print the tickets because they were Peter Pan routes, and not Greyhound routes, that were advertised on the Greyhound website and I would have to go to Peter Pan’s website in order to purchase them now. I went to the Peter Pan website, and had an online chat conversation with an agent named Bill (which I have included along with Print Screens of the Greyhound prices) who was not helpful and said the prices on the website were already on sale and that Greyhound’s prices listed were incorrect. Then I guess he left the conversation because he didn’t respond to my request for an address to write this letter to.

So why have I included both of you on this letter? I am not sure of how the parameters of your business relationship works, but it is completely unfair that I have spent the last hour getting the run around about such drastic price differences for companies that are supposed to be in a partnership. A total of $16.00 may not seem like a lot in the eyes of large businesses, but it is enough of a difference that I felt the need to write (it would be more if I was able to use my 10% Road Rewards discount). Greyhound, if you are going to advertise the routes of Peter Pan or any other bus company, you should allow your customer to purchase them! They also should be the prices that the original companies agree to. Peter Pan, I hope that now you see your routes are being advertised at much lower rates than you are selling them for, and will either match these prices, or rethink where your route information can be found.

I will be traveling in this region for business as well as my travel blog- a blog that has had thousands of readers. This letter WILL be posted on it, and I hope that a helpful solution is reached quickly.

Respectfully,


Terri 

So, what do you think readers? AM I justified in being miffed about these prices? Or am I over reacting?