Monday, June 2, 2014

Little Red Corvette (And More)

I have professed to be the Queen of Public Transportation many times on this blog. That was largely due to the fact that I didn't have a driver's license until very recently (as in less than a month). Since I started taking lessons (in the middle of the polar vortex!) I've become slightly more interested in cars. I say slightly because other than super old cars that are cool for the fact that they ARE super old, I'm not the girl who gets excited about seeing a BMW or Corvette or Mercedes (in fact, thanks to a jerk I was seeing at one point, I actually kind of HATE Mercedes vehicles now...but I digress.) To me, I couldn't drive them, and even if I could, I couldn't afford to fix them if I accidentally messed them up, so, meh.

While I'm still getting comfortable in Hondas and Fords, I have started to at least educate myself on different car brands so that whenever I go in to purchase my first vehicle (which will NOT be a luxury car), I'll have some background information. I give this whole story to prep you for what was probably the shortest excursion during my time in Vegas: a visit to the Las Vegas Car Museum.

First car I saw in the "Museum"
Now, knowing that cars really aren't a big deal to me, understand that I DO respect the engineering and artistry it takes to make a vehicle. My sister and I had a Groupon where we got in for $10 ($5 each) so the price was wonderful. If you are a car nerd (and I know many people are) you'll like this place. There were all sorts of fancy, expensive cars around that made you afraid to breathe around them for fear your breath would scratch their finishes. I'll just leave you with some pics so you get the gist of what I saw:







So, I went, I saw, and was not disappointed, but didn't leave with that "wow!" feeling I get after finishing an excursion. Two things I think anyone visiting should know:

1. First and foremost, the LVCM is inside of the Dal Toro Restaurant which is inside the Palazzo. Maybe this place is new (or only recently promoted as a museum) but on the street no one even knew it existed when we were asking for directions. While we didn't eat at Dal Toro, it was a beautiful restaurant, and looked like it served great Italian food.

2. Calling this place a museum is a bit of a stretch. Yes, they have a collection of really fancy cars. But there were no signs or anything to let me know what I was looking at or why it was special other than it looked cool. The back wall of the place is actually a gate to a garage, and we heard plenty of engines vrooming while we took our photographs. In actuality, this place is also known as Celebrity Cars Las Vegas, which rents and sells these vehicles to the rich and famous. I'm guessing what they are calling a museum is actually a showroom for clientele to pick from, and they've opened it up to the "regular" public by calling it a museum. None of the cars on the museum site were there when I went to visit, which further makes me think this is more showroom than anything else.

And you know, that's fine. For $5 I'm certainly not complaining, but it would have been nice to actually learn a little bit about the cars, be it by an employee standing around telling us (we were the only people there), or by having a booklet or something available for those of us not there to transact. If you have a spare 30 minutes and want to see some cool looking cars (especially if you already know a little about them), then go for it. The air conditioning as a break from the 100 degree weather alone was worth my money! But if you are looking for an in-depth look at the history and story behind these fancy machines, I'd keep going.

More Nevada posts to come! You can look at all of my Nevada photos (including for outings I haven't officially blogged about yet) on my Facebook page. I have a few photos and a video on my digital camera I need to upload- one of these days I'll remember to bring the cord with me so I can do so!

As always, thank you all for reading, and I'll see you on the next adventure!