Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Paul Revere House

Sign outside of the Paul Revere House
We all know the Longfellow rhyme: Listen my children and you will hear, of the midnight ride of Paul Revere...right? Well, if you don't you can read the entire poem here. In the meantime, you can read about my trip to The Paul Revere House, the third of four stops I made on my last day in Boston.

Whereas the Old South Meeting House and the Old State House were both relatively close together, the PRH was a bit further of a journey than I originally expected. Mind you, in reality it was only 15 minutes tops away from the first two stops, but I was working on one hour of sleep and lugging a suitcase along brick and cobblestone streets full of tourists.

PRH from across the street

The house doesn't look nearly as old as it is (it was built in 1680) and while it looks sort of drab and tiny from the outside, is a lot bigger and warmer inside. No photos were allowed inside the house (as always) but they do a good job of filling the home with pieces that would have been used by the Reveres. There is even a case full of silver pieces that he made. The overall visit took maybe 30-40 minutes. It was thankfully air conditioned inside the home, and for the most part, people kept moving and didn't stand too long in certain areas making it hard for others to visit.

One of the last bells made by Paul Revere
I also want to thank the very kind woman at the admissions booth. There isn't a secure place to but belongings (like my suitcase) and according to her, after the recent Boston Bombings many tourism hot spots have declined to offer a place to store bags for tourists. However, realizing that I was of course no terrorist, allowed me to put my bag against the booth so I could tour the home. She didn't have to do that- but I am very thankful she did. (Take note Newport Mansions!)

A few more entries for this latest adventure, and then I will be gone to visit Washington and Alaska. Thank you so much for reading my blog! Make sure you check out my Facebook page for more pictures and hit the "Like" button if you want to support! You can follow me on Twitter and see all the cool places I check out while I'm actually on my adventures too- in real time!