Friday, January 13, 2012

Miss America State Favorites

Miss America State Favorites

I saw this photo-article on the Travel Channel where all 53 Miss America contestants were asked for their favorite places in their home states. I immediately thought two things...

1. Wow, I can get a lot of insight on where to go and what to do in every state I haven't yet blogged about, and...

2. 53??!! Man, I thought I was doing big things blogging about the 50 states (and DC) for a total of 51. You add in my Puerto Rico bonus entry and we are at 52. Now, the US Virgin Islands too! Sheesh! I mean, technically I DID go to St. Thomas on the same cruise that landed me in Puerto Rico at the end of the trip...but I didn't DO anything there (my friend and I made it as far as about a half mile from the ship before the sun thoroughly whipped our tails!) Well, we'll see what happens between now and August 31, 2016!

Interesting though, the places mentioned in states I've already covered:

Miss Virginia says her favorite place to go in her state is the beach. (Not very descriptive, or specific, but we'll assume she means Virginia Beach...)

Miss Puerto Rico named the Arecibo Observatory (which I did not visit), home of one of the most powerful radio telescopes in the world.

Miss Pennsylvania said she loves the Hershey Factory in Hershey, PA. Mind you, I haven't finished the state yet but I have it pretty much planned out... a whirlwind of PA made goods- including the Hershey Factory, a visit to Philadelphia, and the Frank Lloyd Wright house Falling Water (and its sister site Kentuck Knob if possible!)

Miss Maryland cited Baltimore's Inner Harbor (check!!!) as her favorite place.

Miss DC named the H Street Country Club as her favorite place (Really? A country club? In my mind... that's a poor choice, but that's her opinion)



Great insight though! I'll probably refer back to this article as long as it's available online for more ideas. Check it out and see if these ladies named one of your favorite places in your favorite states!