Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Something New and (Hopefully) Fun!!

I was thinking about how I am going around to all these new and different places as I continue along my journey, and about the positive reactions I've been getting when I tell people (both strangers and friends) about the entire concept. I realized that I am in a way giving mini reviews of the places I'm visiting, and that my experiences there could be helpful for others. However, unless they have eager web-hunters (like Ford's Theatre who tweeted me after I blogged about my experience there), most venues will never know that they were a part of this quest. To address this (and to indirectly promote this blog!) I ordered postcards that I will mail out to venues once I've visited them. It cost me less than $30 from Vistaprint to get 100, and postcards mail for 29 cents. I thought it was a fun way to get the word out and thank the people and organizations whose work has affected me, and potentially, other people as well.


If you get this in the mail, it means I was there!


Next, I thought about how I didn't want this to end up just a travel diary (although it certainly will function that way to some extent). I want to hear from YOU about where I should go and the fun experiences you've had. I realized quickly i just couldn't do it all, but for most cities/states, I don't even know where to begin! Google can only go but so far in this, so I'm a little lost as to how I can increase reader participation. I know it's still very early (I've only "been" to three of my 51 destinations, and of those three only completed one- and have to finish blogging about all of it!) Do you guys have suggestions for me? I was thinking about adding travel tips (especially on transportation- I am the goddess of public transportation!), recipes based on state foods, and other tidbits. I also started a YouTube page where I can add mini video clips of the things I learned and experienced in each place (though admittedly I haven't started filming anything, but I HAVE favorited two state-related videos I found entertaining), or maybe do a cooking demonstration on the previously mentioned state foods...I dunno, we'll see. Hopefully you all will come up with neat suggestions to help me out!

In the meantime, stay tuned my friends! I should have DC officially finished and blogged about within a week, and I will further my journey into Virginia this weekend as well. I leave for vacation on the 25th (a tradition my best friend and I started- taking a cruise each time one of us completes a degree. It started with her finishing Law School in 2008, and I finished my Master's in May) but unfortunately, it will largely be in the Caribbean. WE DO, however, leave and return from Puerto Rico, so depending on how the travel arrangements go, I may surprise you all with a US Territory bonus lol.

Thank you so much for reading and participating! I hope everyone is as into this as I am!